Friday, July 26, 2013

Payton's Birth

First, I am so thankful everything went well with Payton's birth and that I got to have him in the water.  Although there were several bumps along the road (gestational diabetes, a husband who did not want to do a water birth, the new Birth Center of NWA not being in-network for insurance, labor not progressing, uncertainty about if I could endure the pain, etc).  The experience was very positive, and I think having Payton in the water naturally was such a sweet, healthy way to bring him into the world.  After months of arguing, the water birth experience brought James and I together and ultimately strengthened our relationship.  James was such a great coach, encourager, and support throughout labor, and there is no one else I would've rather had by my side.
9:45am--After walking two miles at the gym, I feel my underwear and shorts get wet as I sit down in the car. Think my water might've just broken, but am unsure as I am only 38 weeks and it wasn't that much water.  Decide I probably just peed my pants.

10:00--Drive through Chick-Fila for a mid-morning snack.

10:15--Arrive at JumpZone. I promised the kids we'd go and it's Winning Wednesday!

10:30--Call James at work.  No answer. Thankfully he texts:
  • James: We're in a big meeting.  Everything okay?
  • Silvy: Yes, don't leave your meeting, but I'm not sure if my water just broke or if I peed my pants.
  • James: Okay.  How are you feeling?
  • Silvy: Fine, not feeling any contractions.  At JumpZone with the kids.
  • James: You probably just peed your pants.  Keep me updated if you need anything...

12:30pm--Arrive home after winning 8 free jump passes and take the boys upstairs for naps.  Have to change my underwear 3 times, but yet still no contractions.  Ask my next door neighbor Shalini to come help with the kids.  She insists (thank goodness) that I ask James to come home from work and take me to the hospital.  Call James and for some reason, I am still not fully convinced I'm in labor (even though my water broke at home like this with all 3 boys).

12:45--Shalini and Jennifer come over and help me pack the car and get the boys asleep.

1:15--James gets home and off we go to Mercy.  The hospital checks me in and confirms my water is fully broken.

1:30--Dilated to a 3 (was a 2 at my appt Monday).  James airs up the water birth tub.

2:00--Call family.  My mom and her husband leave Kansas to come help with the kids.

3:00--Walk, walk, walk around the hospital.  Contractions are not painful and are 7-8 minutes apart.  James goes to Bliss Cupcakes to get a treat for the nurses and were they ever nice to us after that!

5:30--Dilated to a 4 and the baby dropped to a 0.  No effacement :(.  Nurses want a contraction strip at the top of every hour for 20 minutes and then I can move freely for the next 40 minutes. Still no pain so I ask James to do my makeup (it's the only time in life he'll do it :)).  Kill more time by straightening my hair.
7:00--Watch Big Brother.  Eat a delicious Vanilla Bliss Cupcake while my nurses are gone...and maybe a Chicken Bacon Ranch Subway sandwich.

9:30--Dr. comes back.  Dilated to a 4.5.  Not progressing as fast as I should.  Dr. lays out critical times: 18 hours (3:45am)--antibiotics necessary, 24 hours (9:45am)--start pitocin and call off water birth.  Not totally discouraged yet...labor has to pick up soon, right?

10:00--Walk, walk, walk more.  Do sets of 10 squats at the end of each hall (probably did 300-400 squats).  James finds a wheel chair to scoot around in behind me because he is "tired of walking."

12:00am--James makes a Taco Bell run.  Can't resist sneaking a chicken chalupa--need energy to push, right?

1:00--still a 4.5.  Start getting frustrated.  Nurses tell James and me to lay down and try to sleep.  One minute later, James is asleep.  I can't rest or sleep to save my life, and laying down is not comfortable.  Contractions still 7 min apart and not regular.

2:30--cry my first tear.  Only 7 more hours until I can't have a water birth and all of our birth plans go down the drain.  Don't want pitocin, but have tried everything to speed up labor and nothing is working.

3:00--decide to wake James up and ask him to walk with me more. 

3:30--FINALLY, contractions are picking up (about 4-5 min apart) and are painful.  I've never been so excited to be in pain in my life.  Walk around and squat through every contraction as James provides counter pressure on my hips.  Ask nurses if I can get in the water and surprisingly Dr. Johnson says yes!  Get antibiotics to prevent infection as it's been 18 hours since my water broke.  Start filling up the birth pool!

4:15--Get in birth pool!  I didn't pay money to rent the tub for nothing!  Contractions get stronger.  Decide leaning over the side of the tub on my knees is the best way to endure the pain.
5:30--Dilated to a 7!  Progress!  Call Dr. to tell him to come to hospital.

6:09--Dr. arrives.  Checks and announces there is no cervix left.  Asks if I am feeling the urge to push (yes, kind of), so suggests a trial push on the next contraction.

6:11--Dr. tells James we should have a baby within the next two contractions (which are about a minute apart now).  No time to get the video camera is coming!

6:16am--Out slides Payton!  7lbs, 15oz, 21 inches of calm baby.  En route to placing him on my chest, his umbilical chord snaps and spews blood everywhere, including all over the Dr's face.  Yuck.  Get to nurse him and hangout over an hour until James and I call the nurses to come get him because we are falling asleep holding him.  Praise God for another healthy boy!  Overwhelmed with thankfulness.


Nicole Jacobsen said...

Silvy, I always enjoy reading your birth stories. The birth of Payton was as exciting as they come. I like how you thought you peed and then James also saying you probably just peed, too funny. I'm glad you were able to use your birthing tub and able to experience something that seems so scary and yet wonderful at the same time. I'm glad he was early enough though not too early and he was still a healthy size boy. The closest I have gotten to my due date was 2 weeks and a couple days. I think we are similar in that we have decent size babies. Though I'm thankful I've never had to push out 9+ lb baby :) I think God knows what we can and can't handle and while it may not always seem easy or on our timeline we survive and we are blessed with beautiful boys. Who would have thought the cousins that used to play my little pony wheel of fortune Polly pockets would someday have 7 boys between the two of us.

Mira's mom said...

Silvy this is awesome! You are so funny! Congrats!

Heather said...

Hi Silvy! Thank you for sharing your story :-) I was hoping you could answer a quick question about your blog! My name is Heather and if you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!